Why isn't my Tide card recognised by GWR train ticket machines?

payments

Why isn’t my Tide card recognised by GWR train ticket machines? Is support coming?

Hi @iain!
Tide cards aren’t currently accepted by self-service payment machines (e.g. car parks, train stations, and fuel pumps). However, they will be accepted at a manned desk :slight_smile:

If you book your GWR ticket online, you can pay with Tide Card (at least I have) and then when you use your card in the machine to verify its you then it works

Katie,
Do you know why and when this is likely to be resolved. Seems strange that a credit card does not just work everywhere that takes Mastercard

my understanding is that it isn’t a credit card, its a pre-paid card, so lots of services don’t accept those (i expect for fraud reasons?). it is frustrating.

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you @MarkN!
Tide cards are prepaid cards, which unfortunately are not accepted by a small group of merchants and terminals.
In most cases Paywave still works at self service machines :slight_smile:
Hope this helps!

This is a bit poor on the part of Tide.
I travel daily on the London underground. Generally I use my personal account debit card to swipe through the turnstiles.
I was going to charge my Tide card and use that so I could see the transactions come directly out of my business account, but it seems that this is not an option.
So now I either use an oyster card or continue with the added nuisance of using my debit card.

It’s about time Tide sorted out a real credit or debit card for their customers.
Until this happens many people including myself will be looking to move to a current account where it’s easier to access and use our funds.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share this feedback @Colin!
Rest assured you can use your Tide card when ‘tagging on and off’ on public transport, and at train turnstyles :slight_smile:
It is just some self service ticket machines that are unable to accept prepaid cards for transactions above the contactless transaction limit, however your Tide card will be accepted at the manned ticket desk.
Do let me know if you have any further questions, I’d be happy to help!

where they still exist, at many tube stations such as Blackhorse Road have closed down all ticket windows and only the automated self-service machines exist

Northern Rail won’t accept Tide prepaid cards when trying to pay for tickets in their app :frowning:

Thank you for the reply Katie,

I shall test it out and post here whether it works across the DLR and underground.

Cheers
Colin

I found out at the beginning of the week that Virgin Trains (app & website) don’t appear to accept Tide cards either, had to pay via Paypal using my Tide card details rather that directly through their checkout.

East Midlands trains ticket machine collection wont accept Tide cards. I re-ordered a card this week as I thought there was something wrong with it.
So many functions not available for basic every day business requirements with this account…

Hi @gina,
Have you tried to go to the manned ticket desk?

Only some self-service ticket machines are unable to accept prepaid cards for transactions above the contactless transaction limit. Your Tide card will be accepted at the manned ticket desk.

Let me know if you have any other questions about tide, I’m happy to help :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Valentine