Transactions with Taobao stopped working, high risk?!

safetyandsecurity
payments

Dear Tide,
I have been using my card to pay for a variety of electronic supplies at Taobao.
If you dont know Taobao is the biggest online shop in the world, like amazon, but in China.

My first ~10 transactions went through just fine. Then suddenly they stopped going through.
I contacted your support which gave me the vaguest answer ever “Some merchants are considered high risk and we don’t allow transactions with them”.

This makes no sense, Taobao has hundreds of thousands of shops are you telling me that the whole of taobao is off limits? its like saying that the whole of ebay is off limits.

And if the above is true why did some of the transactions went through?

Please shed some light, our business buys supplies from vendors in china which without we wouldn’t be able to operate.

Thank you for reaching out about this, @yiancar

Thank you for your patience, I’ve had a look into this a bit more so I can provide you with a more specific reason.

The Tide cards we offer are prepaid Mastercards, so they do come with some limits as defined by the card provider. In the case of the transactions that you’ve made, it’s not that we do not decline all transactions to the marketplace in question.

There are, however, limits on the number of contactless card payments you can make within a 24 hour period - which is exactly 10. Once 24 hours have elapsed from the last one that you made, you should be able to continue making payments.

I do apologise for the confusion, and hope that this clarifies the situation better.

Regards,
Obi

Hello @Obi_at_Tide,

Thank you for the reply. This seems like a more reasonable explanation!
However my last transaction was on the 25th of october at 1:52AM. It has been 24 hours, and we still cannot pay any new transactions.
Any information on that?

Cheers,
Yiangos

Hi there @yiancar

Thank you for getting back to me and sorry for not getting back to you on this sooner!

I can see that you’ve been in touch with the team in-app about this as well, it seems like they’ll need to look into this a bit more closely to see where the payments are hitting a snag, but they’ll update you there as soon as they possibly can.

Regards,
Obi