Rejection of Tide Debit card by Merchants

I think it’s a massive issue yet, Tide does not seem to acknowledge it or share how they plan to solve the problem. Now that Tide has a new CEO, wonder whether he would see the issue as a serious one. As the other banks come on stream, you will start to loose early loyal customers if this problem is not solved. Just my 2p.

I did not realise Tide wasn’t a proper bank and is just a pre-paid card. Feel a bit led on by this.

I am trying to run Google Ad campaigns using my Tide card and it’s rejected it. This is a pretty big deal - a large part of my business. It makes using Tide unsustainable for us.

In May you mentioned that the team were working behind the scenes to come up with a solution to this but 6 months later the problem is still here.

Can you give an update on this? I would also like to know how much of a priority this is for Tide as it doesn’t seem to be that big of a priority.

I have been fighting with a number of companies I deal with regarding online payments etc as the majority of my business is mainly online.

I cannot, for the life of me, believe that this is the issue, a card with a “prepaid” status. I actually feel cheated. I’m now in the process of closing accounts down and transfering money to tide.

I’m so angry I could cry!

Feel like crying as well. I just made mt first payment (attempt) today with tide, and the payment was refused. I found this topic while looking why this would happen, and I got shocked ! Just reading all these problems paying with the card is freaking me out. I have seen other similar topics as well…

And just learned that the card is actually not a real debit card !

As a business you need to be confident that you will be able to pay your expenses in all circumstances, this can lead to both embarassing situations and a big loss of time in accounting (Which was the main reason why I subscribed to tide in the first place). And since you need to pay back your personal account for this expense, I guess there is a fee that will be applied to this bank transfer???

Ten I read that there is no plan to change that in the future, I think that this is the worst… Wish I had read the small prints…

I love the way that the app is build and the payments categories and attachements, but if you can’t get your expenses to go out from the account, it’s a huge hussle. If any of you knows of an alternative that do works I’m all in :confused:

This is farcical - one of the main expenses of a small business consultant is travel and all major travel merchants (Rail machines, Uber etc) don’t accept this card.

Wish I’d read the small print too - my daughters Go Henry card is more widely accepted. I’ll be moving back to a proper bank unfortunately. App platform is excellent but if the card can’t pay for any expenses directly I am just have to double transact and double handle everything. One step forward, two steps back. Shame.

Hello,

I am wondering whether Tide have an update on this?

Google Ad platform (pretty crucial to most startups?) and Digital Ocean (hosting company) do not accept prepaid and that is two of the four payments I have tried to move.

It would be good to know if there are any plans to move to debit in the future, so that we can make a decision on whether to continue using Tide.

I can tell you that Google, Digital Ocean, pipedrive, hubspot, uber, chargebee are not accepting the card.
I asked several times Tide tell me that it was the merchant fault.
So can you really do with this card!
This is just unacceptable!

Does anyone know why merchants won’t accept a prepay card? They’re guaranteed the money at the point they take the card otherwise the card gets declined so in theory it shouldn’t be any different to any other card, except that it obviously is. Just baffled as to why so many merchants won’t accept it.

We can add iwoca to the list of merchants who won’t accept Tide’s “prepaid” debit card :angry:

Most of time I can get round the issue by using my company Barclaycard, where there are times when using a debit card is the only way to avoid charges (eg HMRC).

For iwoca not to accept the Tide “MasterCard” is very ironic, given the cross platform advertising.

This really does need to be resolved. Even a timeline to resolution would help hugely.

Wow really wish I had read this thread earlier.

Just spent the last 3 months trying to obtain a Tide account and finally got one. Now I’ve realised I can’t really use them for anything at all…

As a non UK resident, this is even more problematic as I don’t even have a personal UK bank account and debit card to pay suppliers with…

Not working for any paid Google services. Quite a problem

not being able to pay for google Adwords rather defeats the object of a business card. Very frustrating and I will have to look for alternative account with a debit card unless I get a sensible resolution from Tide that works. More hassle… and wasted time

I’ve just had the Tide card rejected by Barclaycard - this is a real problem with operating the account. I don’t understand why Tide are not working a solution, it is obvious that customers will move away and the banks reputation will be damaged.

I’ve just tried signing up to Azure using my Tide account details but my card was rejected due to the following error “Sorry, we can’t accept pre-paid cards. Please try another payment method”.

As a software developer trying to set up their business website this is incredibly frustrating. As this will be a recurring payment it will be annoying to claim on expenses every month.

I will start looking for an alternative bank account as Tide currently does not meet my requirements. I would not have signed up for an account if I’d known.