Welcome to the community

IMPORTANT: Tide Community is closing - we’re building something better!

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and ideas. We very much appreciate your contributions - and now it’s time for something new. To better support you, and to showcase your businesses, we’re developing a member directory.

5th February 2021: This forum is now ‘static’ so it's not possible to add a new topic or comment.
Summer 2021: The forum will close. Read more

Good evening,

I’m really trying hard to pay HMRC since Saturday and have fallen foul, yet again, of your paused payment checks.

After some initial help I have heard nothing and now have two days of fines clocked up for late payment. This needs to be resolved now.

Glib references to FCA security requirements aren’t good enough, against the length of delays, and I would appreciate resolution - alongside a contact point to claim back the fines incurred due to Tides processes.

Without this I will have no choice but to file a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman by close of business tomorrow.

I will of course be loathed to do this, due to tide being good up until now, but I also can’t have these ‘rare’ checks happening so often and incurring HMRC charges at the same time.

I can’t even transfer money between my two tide accounts now and nothing has changed at all since the last ‘rare’ check you did.

Company is Utilus Ltd.

• created

Nov '20
  • last reply

Nov '20

replies

views

users

I’m having exactly the same problem. My payments have been blocked since Saturday. I am unable to pay bills and have asked for my account to be closed and balance transferred to another bank but they are not communicating. I’ve never experienced anything like this. I’m calling the FCA later this morning.m to complain about Tide

Thank you both for reaching out about this.

I’m glad to see that the team have been able to reach out to you to sort these payments out accordingly. We never want to cause our members any undue inconvenience, and it’s unfortunate that these checks have been happening more frequently for you.

If you need any help, just let me know.

Regards,
Obi

Good afternoon Obi,

Firstly I would like to say thank you for the resolution and my complaint is nothing to do with any member on an individual basis - they are all lovely and friendly but their options to resolve issues are limited.

We do need to be careful with some of the language used when a bank account has been paused for security checks. It isn’t ‘unfortunate’ it is entirely the banks responsibility to ‘resolve or report’ - through the MLRO to the appropriate authorities.

Failure to resolve quickly for a small business, that has done nothing wrong, can completely cripple it - I’m just lucky it’s late payment fines from HMRC for me but payroll delays in this current climate can have critical consequences.

Because of this, a 3 day SLA to fix these issues is too long for Tide and a bad situation is made even worse if there isn’t regular correspondence to the customer (at least 3-4 times in a 24hr period). So my advice is, please:

1. Change the wording you use - a simple message on ‘required security checks’ can be personalised more (this is about people’s livelihoods after all)

2. Try to be faster if an account is blocked entirely - if your resolution teams are too small, and the workload is too much, that’s an issue for Tide’s business model and their scaling - not the customer.

Tide has always been helpful and normally I’m a very happy customer but if there’s anyone to feed this back to then please do. These ‘rare checks’ aren’t really that rare, so they need to be quicker.

I have also been provided with the complaints link now but will wait until the late payments fine total has been calculated by HMRC before I submit anything.

Thank you for the help and hopefully I can stay a customer of Tide.

Good morning,

Thank you again for your feedback, I’ll definitely pass this along for you - as will the complaints team.

I hope that we’ll be able to address these issues going forward more efficiently as well, it’s always been our intent to enable small businesses.

Regards,
Obi