Lack of basic banking features

so just to clarify here sending money to a foreign bank account from a TIDE account is fine?
I will be taking orders in the uk but would need to transfer abroad.

My understanding is that, with a Tide account, it’s not currently possible to make or receive international payments. Check George’s reply up top and he confirms that.

wow…forget it then.

Hi @markmark99, pleased to inform you that we’re working hard to introduce this feature soon.

I love Tide and what it stands for, but realistically, international payments is a major feature to be completely without, and I think we’d all be much happier with a temporary solution. My biggest client have just informed me that they are unable to pay me due to this issue, so I’m going to be left without the necessary funds. The location of their bank isn’t something we’ve ever discussed (what with them being based in Lancashire), so it was not an anticipated problem. I’ve seen posts as far back as January discussing the lack of this feature, and we’re nearly a year into that now. I appreciate your quest for something better, but it’s turning a lot of us away when a temporary solution could have alleviated a lot of this distress, on top of a lot of customer support time that could have been put to better use.

Thank you for sharing your feedback @arraneleanor. To echo George, we are working hard to introduce this soon! We really do appreciate your patience as well as other Members similarly awaiting this feature.

Agree with all who point out that IBAN is a must-have, not something to add later. SMEs need to be able to take international payments and Tide is disingenuous in not highlighting this ridiculous omission before opening an account. IBANs are often asked for even if not technically necessary - and so not having one excludes many many payments. Work-arounds? Why? I can use a conventional account instead. Tide is supposed to a providing a way of banking, not forcing people to go elsewhere for fundamentally basic services. I only opened a Tide account this morning, and within an hour found that it was useless for accepting Amazon Pay UK, who use UK sort code and account number but require an IBAN number for ‘verification’. Tide can’t provide one, so the account is useless before it’s been used. That’s a couple of hours of my time I won’t get back - and I wouldn’t have bothered if Tide had warned up-front that it can’t to IBANs.

Hi @ems, thanks for taking the time to post on the community. All the information about Tide can be found on the product page of our website. We understand that IBAN is a priority for some of our members. We are working hard to introduce this feature soon! Let us know if you have any other questions about Tide, we’d be happy to help!

How can you not accept paper direct debits? I had no idea so many features would be lacking when I signed up to Tide.

Unfortunately after moving to Tide I am going to have to move to a traditional bank. I can’t even pay my rent without direct debits!

Hi Mark,

Even though we can’t accept paper Direct Debits, you are able to set up Direct Debits electronically.
You can find more information about how to do so here.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions about Tide, I’d be happy to help!
Valentine

Thanks for the extensive reply, I really appreciate hearing the challenges and why it’s not as simple as it might appear to add a feature like this.

Things I’d like to see to run a business using tide:

• Multiple accounts - love this, thanks!
  • Touch ID support - love this, thanks!
  • IBAN support for payments in, this is more important than international payments out to me
  • Standing orders for paying salaries - I too didn’t bother to check and was surprised by this
  • Your own cards and payment processor - see what Monzo are doing. At some point you’re going to have to bite the bullet and do this.

To be honest this should not of been launched till all paying in features where in place. I can pay money to my private account via a post office. Reason is. The bank is 16 miles away. The post office is 1 mile away.
For saying there was talks about this feature on sept 21st nothing as been done because I tried to load money into my account three times and the cashier said it won’t load. So now I have three hundred quid and it’s lying around the house. You need to sort this out and quickly. I’ve only been with you 2 weeks and already thinking of emptying my account and closing it. This is a business account but my name’s at the top of the statement.not my trading name so it can’t be used against any trade credit accounts. Etc etc. This is just like a personal account for kids

Also a bank transfer from any account to tide takes 12 to 48hrs to show up. WHY. I spend £3.99 at McDonald’s. Contactless method it shows instantly. This needs lots of work.

Dear George,
I appreciate your reaction to the subject of multi currency and/or international payments and also understand the complication of it.
However in todays world it is disappointing to see that even for small businesses you do not support international transactions (payments and receipts).
You state that you are addressing the issue but I would have been more happy with a basic functionality of this in a shorter time (even only for GBP) than a full blown state of the art solutions. The latter is great when it gets there but does not help the many small businesses that in todays world have international clients and suppliers that need to be paid.

I have had to open another account with a high street bank to be able to receive GBP amounts from abroad from my client. The internet platforms you suggested are all happy to make payments but non of them to receive payments.

Tide has been very good for purely UK payments but has disappointed me for international business which is not only for the big companies in these days

I would appreciate to hear from you a more concrete date for when this functionality becomes available. Otherwise I do not have another solution than transferring my bank business to one f the high street banks

In August 2017 you mentioned: “Standing orders are a much more straightforward feature. They’re on the roadmap, but actually you’d be surprised by how few members have requested them. I’m sorry we don’t have them yet but it won’t be long.” It’s now 7 months later on, and still no STO’s. How come it’s taking so long for such a “straightforward feature”?

I also agree that a published roadmap would help you to manage customer expectations. Yes, certainty is lovely - but we live in an uncertain world. What would be nice is that the organisation is seen to care about its “founder members”. We’re the ones who are going to be your ambassadors; your cheerleaders. If you can’t be straight with us and say what’s coming and when, how can we recommend you wholeheartedly? And so what if you miss a few deadlines - that happens everywhere; nobody dies. From what I have read about you George, you’d simply come on here and tell everyone why it hasn’t happened. We’d appreciate the transparency, and then you’d keep your fans believing in you, and help them to extend their patience. But simply waiting and waiting to messages like “coming soon” is not in line with the great customer service demonstrated when we all signed up and, for me, when I send an email on a weekend and get a reply within 20 minutes. Transparency is key, I feel.

A Standing Order update which is better than “coming soon” would be much appreciated, or I for one, am going to seek out an account with another bank. Not being able to make STO payments with a banking facility which markets itself on convenience is actually distinctly inconvenient, no matter how many people haven’t requested them. It’s just a payment set to repeat. How can that not be easy to implement, when the traditional banks with far less sophisticated technology have been providing those for years. It just doesn’t make any logical sense to me and other people I speak to.

I hasten to add that the rest of my experience so far has been very positive. however I am just gobsmacked that STO’s don’t exist as a basic service. If your customers can’t automate in this day and age, they just waste their time.

Hey @flolegal - fair point, well made :slight_smile:

So… I can confirm that standing orders are now very close at hand indeed - I’ve seen the designs and it’s being worked on at the moment. The project was complicated by needing to reconcile the user experience with an enhanced payment process which we’ve built for international payments (which we’re also about to roll out).

You can expect both to appear in the next quarter (and not late in the next quarter - actually pretty soon - but you know I hate to commit…)

Great news. Patience and Persistence Pay on both sides of the equation.
You’ll have to work on this commitment phobia though - I’ll ask my wife for tips… (I married for the first time when I hit the age of 50 - so it took a while to get over mine. Stay close. We can help!
I appreciate the response George. Not sure the CEO of a big bank would send me a reply in 24 hours - but I guess they have challenges of a very different kind.

To whom it may concern

I need someone to help me appeal to Tide to return my money. So that I can get on with my business.

I have been unable to access my money since 11 days now, I have written severally via the apps and on email all to no avail. I just need my money. My business has been put on hold since.

Thanks

Hi @REHOBOTH,

I know our team is in touch with you on a private channel. Please don’t hesitate to get back to them if you have any questions, they’d be happy to help.

Thanks,
Valentine

Thanks for your reply. They have not been in touch since I sent all the documents they requested, not even an acknowledgement. This got me thinking I may have fallen a victim. The silence is worrying me apart from the fact that this business activities is largely dependent on this account, it is my livelihood. Their action or in action has put my business on hold for more than 12 days now. Please advice, what do I do now