International banking

payments

Hey Tide, I’m in the business of selling software subscriptions, and just opened a Limited company here in UK.

I accept 90% of my payments through Stripe, but sometimes I sell to large enterprises so I need to go the long way with quotes, invoices and bank transfers.

The problem is that I hardly have any customer from UK, so I need to receive international bank transfers. I read you don’t have IBAN yet, but you do have sort codes and account numbers.

Does that mean that a company from EU or USA will not be able to pay me? Or that would be more expensive? For me or for the customer?

Also, I bill people in USD, what would be the conversion rate?

Thanks!

Hi @sscarduzio, thanks for your question.

International payments and foreign currency payments or accounts are not yet available. However, our Product Development Team is working hard on these features and we will be able to offer both foreign currency accounts and international payments in the near future. In the meantime, many of our members use third party providers to make international payments. Our CEO has also written about this feature in a blog post - it’s worth reading.

We do not charge any fees or interest for international payments, and use the exchange rates set by MasterCard. I hope you find this information useful. Do reach out if you need further clarification. Thanks :slight_smile:

OK so in practical terms, if a German company has a cool bank that supports sending money to UK accounts (using Sort code and account number) there is no problem, right?

I’m not even sure this is possible, not really expert :frowning:

Hi Simone, are you looking to receive payments from Germany into your Tide account? If so, you would need to use a third party providers to receive international payments until we introduce IBAN. Hope this helps!

Hello,
So in other words it would be possible to receive money and send money from/to foreign bank accounts through Paypal for example ?

Hi @Chris1, if Paypal only requires your Tide sort code and account number to do so, it should work fine. Let me know if you have any other questions, I’m happy to help!

Hey @sscarduzio what was your solution for this in the end?

I’ve been using TransferWise’s free borderless account to setup a European account (takes 2 mins and you can get local details for EUR, AUD, USD + GBP) and then means I don’t have to deal with PayPal’s conversion fees and can convert to GBP and pay into my tide account. Worth checking out - can use my referral code at transferwise.com/tomh to get a first transfer free as well :wink:

Has tide solved this yet? or do we still need to use the best alternative with borderless accounts transferwise.com
Tide could be great if we could have Euro accounts, other new era banks are moving on this already.

Hi @rph, we’ve begun testing IBAN/international payments for our members with limited companies. If you’d like to register your interest for Tide Preview, our beta testing programme, and test features before their general release, you can do so by getting in touch with Member Support. If you have any other questions, please let us know, we’ll be happy to help :slight_smile: